If you’re looking to sell your Apple Watch, then you’re going to want to reset it properly.
You’ll want to make sure that you remove all your saved information AND removed your Apple ID from the watch. You’ll want to do this for two really important reasons;
1) It keeps your data safe
By removing the information AND your Apple ID, you’re essentially removing any trace that the watch was ever yours, all personal information will be removed and it’ll disappear from your iCloud account.
2) Whoever you sell it to won’t be able to use it or set it up,
If you simply, go to: Settings > General > Erase All Content and Settings directly from your Apple Watch, you would assume that’s it done right? Wrong.
What you’ve done is removed all of the information and data from the Apple Watch but it’s still linked to your iCloud account. This is a bit of a security feature that Apple have in place to protect you. Sell your Apple Watch like this and the proud new owner will not be able to do anything with it.
You may have heard the phrase ‘iCloud locked’ or ‘Activation Locked’ before and what this means is simply that the watch has been erased, however it’s still connected to someone else’s iCloud account.
The Only Correctly Way To Fully Reset Your Apple Watch
You’ll be pleased to know that it’s really straight-forward to get set for sale, but you need to know the key difference between Resetting and Unpairing your Apple Watch.
Resetting Your Apple Watch – simply removes all your content, it’ll be like new, but it’ll still be linked to your account.
Unpairing Your Apple Watch – what this does is unpair your watch from your iCloud account and starts the process of resetting it to factory settings.
- Make sure your iPhone and Apple Watch are near each other and then start the Watch App on your iPhone
- Click the Apple Watch you want to unpair and tap the ‘i’ icon with a circle around it
- Tap “Unpair Apple Watch” and confirm you really want to do it. If you have a cellular model you will also need to choose whether you want to keep or cancel your cellular plan.
- When prompted, enter your Apple ID and password to start. Make sure you keep your iPhone nearby to the watch until the process is complete.
There maybe some times when the above isn’t possible. Maybe your watch is broken or has stopped working. This can happen unfortunately but thankfully you can still unpair it from your iCloud account.
How To Unpair Your Apple Watch Via iCloud
- Go to icloud.com
- Log in and visit the Find My page
- Select All Devices and tap on the Apple Watch you want to remove
- Tap the X and a message will pop-up to confirm that you want to remove your Apple Watch from your iCloud account.
- Select Confirm and that’s it – job done.